Sunday, July 22, 2012

Trace Function - Silhouette Tutorial

Here's a quick tutorial on how to use the trace function with the Silhouette Cameo.

Admit One Ticket
First, copy or open an image into the studio.  Then open the "Trace" function 
and choose "Select Trace Area."


Admit One Ticket
One you have selected your area, the studio chooses its default settings (see below).

Admit One Ticket
You may need to tweak the settings so that the yellow area has clean lines. 
 I usually have to at least increase the "threshold."  
For this particular project I had to increase the threshold to 49% 

Admit One Ticket
After you are satisfied with the lines, chose "Trace."


Admit One Ticket
Here's the results.  

Admit One Ticket
In order to make any changes, you will need to "Release Compound Path."

At this point I usually delete what sections that I do not want and add 
color for printing.

Admit One Ticket
I wanted to print all of the letters and numbers in black.  
So I highlighted them and made each section a compound path.  I then filled them with black.

Admit Ticket
Don't forget to change the center areas to "No Cut."



Admit One Ticket


And Viola!!


Admit One Picture Box

If you need to know how to print and cut after you have your
design good to go, click here for a tutorial.


7 comments:

  1. I love my Silhouette. The trace feature is one of my favorite things about it, too, because it gives you so many more options. I haven't tried the print and cut yet, so I may have to check out that post when I get to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the Trace feature is amazing. It makes possibilities almost endless!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for stopping by Love Bakes Good Cakes. I stopped by to check out your blog and become your newest GFC follower :) I hope you have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I always have trouble with this feature. I'm bookingmarking your post for easy reference. So glad you linked up at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope this tutorial helps you!

      Delete
  4. Oh cool!!! This is a great tutorial!! Now I need a silhouette!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a Silhouette!

    ReplyDelete